One of the actions in A Nation of Curious Minds – He Whenua Hihiri i te Mahara is to use the Vocational Pathways to design programmes that use real-world contexts to deliver science and technology education in ways that engage learners’ needs and interests.
What are the Vocational Pathways?
The Vocational Pathways provide new ways to achieve NCEA Level 2 – the foundation for success in further education and the world of work.
The pathways help students see how their learning and achievement is valued in the ‘real world’ by aligning the NCEA Level 2 Assessment Standards including specific ‘sector-related’ standards with six industries:
- Primary Industries
- Services Industries
- Social & Community Services
- Manufacturing & Technology
- Construction & Infrastructure
- Creative Industries
These six pathways represent ways to structure and achieve NCEA Level 2 by providing a more coherent framework for foundational vocational education; students can develop their own individual education plans, are better informed and able to make better choices to meet their goals.
Government agencies, the industry training sector, secondary and tertiary representatives and industry and employer representatives worked together to develop the six Vocational Pathways for NCEA Level 2 as the foundation of the journey to employment. These groups are now in the process of developing pathways through qualifications achieved in NCEA Level 3 and beyond.
Six Vocational Pathways with programme design guidance are available and promoted across secondary and tertiary sectors, with examples in development.
- Vocational Pathways brochure for Primary Industries [PDF; 391kb]
- Vocational Pathways brochure for Services Industries [PDF; 388kb]
- Vocational Pathways brochure for Social & Community Services [PDF; 392kb]
- Vocational Pathways brochure for Manufacturing & Technology [PDF; 403kb]
- Vocational Pathways brochure for Construction & Infrastructure [PDF; 390kb]
- Vocational Pathways brochure for Creative Industries [PDF; 297kb]
- Visit the website – Youth Guarantee